History of the Practice
Bradshaw Gass and Hope was founded in 1862 and has practiced from its current offices in Silverwell Street, Bolton, since 1871. The firm was probably the first ‘modern’, truly multidisciplinary practice with separate departments of Architects, Quantity Surveyors, Structural and Services Engineers.
The practice was founded on the patronage of the cotton mill owning classes and dominated the industrial scene in the Wigan, Leigh and Bolton districts. Commissions included Schools, Churches, Mills, Town Halls, Civic Centres, Libraries, Hospitals and Museums. By the late 19th Century the practice achieved a position of national pre-eminence.
Notable commissions have included Manchester Royal Exchange, the Le Mans Crescent Complex and Town Hall extension in Bolton and new Town Halls in Edinburgh, Stretford, Luton and Wimbledon.
Today, the Practice delivers design consultancy services of the highest standard, with particular emphasis on sharing expert knowledge and adding value to the design and construction process. The principal professional services of the practice are Architectural Design, Civil Engineering Design, Structural Engineering Design, Cost Management, Environmental Engineering Design and On-site supervision. The practice also offers a wide range of independent supplementary services including Planning Supervision and Project Management.
Recent commissions have included Schools, Colleges, Civic Buildings, Office Accommodation, Housing and Sports Facilities, with projects for Greater Manchester Police, various Hospital Trusts and various Local Authorities including Bolton Metro, for whom Bolton Arena was completed in 2002.